PET Plus is always under review and we tweak the ingredients to reflect the best advice at any one time. We have made some subtle changes to the formulation to enhance its already superb effectiveness. Some ingredients have been increased, and others decreased to make PET Plus, in our opinion, the best whole vegan superfood nutritional supplement for cats and dogs in the world.
What’s In PET Plus?
What makes PET Plus unique?
- AstraZyme, the unique combination of proteolytic enzymes, extracts of Astragalus membraneceus and Pannax notoginseng and trace mineral, to maximize the digestion, absorption and utilization of proteins and fats. Essential for our dogs and cats.
- The combination of digestive and systemic enzymes to enhance the digestion of all dietary components, including those all important greens, essential for the health of the gut probiotics and total microbiome.
- A vast range of antioxidants in the wholefood base, especially the barleygrass, wheatgrass, alfalfa greens and bilberry extract, all supported by the cofactors naturally found in plants.
- Omegas 3, 6, 9 and 12 in perfect balance to reduce inflammation whilst supporting cell membrane health and hormone balance, all from vegetable sources, made readily available by the enzymes in PET Plus.
- Probiotics to complement the existing healthy gut microbes, all of which thrive and multiply in the healthy environment created by this top quality nutritional support with abundant prebiotics.
- 100% vegan, so contains none of the bio-accumulated toxins found in all animal products, especially the fats and oils.
- Simplicity, as it contains everything in one pot; no need to add a bit of this and a bit of that, reducing client confusion and increasing compliance.
Probiotics are more important than ever right now, so we have increased the amounts and species. Saccharomyces cerevisiae, also known as Brewer’s Yeast and Nutritional Yeast, have recently been discovered to be very important probiotics, as well as their great value in supplying B vitamins and amino acids. You’ll be glad to know it has been a major ingredient of PET Plus since its original creation in 1996
Brewers yeast has recently been found to be an important prebiotic
Completely unrelated to the pathogenic yeasts like Candida Albicans, the presence of Saccharomyces cerevisiae protects the body from invasion by such pathogens by living in the spaces the pathogens would otherwise try to occupy.
Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus acidophilus have long been recognised as essential inhabitants of the digestive system of all mammals. Protecting the gut from invasion by pathogens by their very presence and production of a mildly acidic micro-environment, we have increased the numbers significantly.
Prebiotics are essential supports for the probiotics. Largely comprising plant fibre, the healthy gut biome (probiotics) digests and thrives on these otherwise indigestible plant components. This internal ‘farm’ allows the body to absorb and use many of the inorganic (not plant based) minerals consumed as well as producing numerous vitamins, most notably, Vitamin B12.
Prebiotics are essential supports for the probiotics
Orafit Inulin has been chosen specifically for this purpose, replacing the Frutafit Inulin in the previous formulation.
Beetroot fibre also fulfils this role and has been reduced to 70 mg as in large amounts, it can increase bowel activity in sensitive individuals. Virtually all the other ingredients in this formulation contain plant fibres which also act as prebiotics. So the probiotics already existing in the gut and those in the PET Plus are beautifully supported and enhanced by the vast range of prebiotics in PET Plus.
Essential Fatty Acids
Essential fatty acids (omega 3,6,9) are provided by all the plant ingredients, but specifically by flax seed powder (very rich in the anti-inflammatory omega 3), hemp seed powder, chlorella and orange safflower petals.
Did you know that flax seeds are rich in omega 3
The balance of omega 3,6 and 9 needs to be in favour of omega 3, but a healthy, raw source of all the omegas is important to support hormone production, cell wall strength and numerous other bodily functions. We have increased the amounts of all of these specific ingredients.
As part of a group of nutrient dense aquatic plants, the single-celled Chlorella algae is attracting a lot of well deserved attention.
It contains a staggering array of nutrients and micronutrients of great benefit to us all – people, cats and dogs! Chlorella is the richest source of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is a photosynthesising molecule closest in structure to the oxygen carrying haemoglobin molecule in animals.
Chlorella algae is attracting a lot of well deserved attention.
Chlorella is an excellent source of essential fatty acids (EFAs), notably the anti-inflammatory Omega 3. Chlorella also contains numerous minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, phytonutrients, proteins and plenty of probiotic-supporting prebiotics.
All this is readily available for absorption by our dogs and cats as we have chosen the very best quality cracked cell wall Chlorella for PET Plus. As this nutrient dense plant is incredibly green, the PET Plus powders are green when dry and stay green when mixed with wet food!
Antioxidants, Vitamins And Minerals
These are all readily available in all the ingredients, but the grasses are specifically rich sources. We have increased the quantities of the alfalfa, barley and wheat grass juice powders to reflect the growing need for more cellular protection afforded by these grasses.
Kamut Wheat Grass is the first recognised species of wheat!
The Kamut Wheat Grass is the very best source of the whole spectrum of nutrients, being the first recognised species of wheat. Using the grass portion, not the seed, automatically ensures there is no gluten in PET Plus. Bilberry juice powder continues to contribute enormously.
Efficient energy production by the cells is critical for health and is essential for the production of energy by the mitochondria, the energy powerhouses in every cell.
With the environmental challenges faced by all living entities, the increase in Coenzyme Q10 to 30mg per half teaspoon (2.5g) will help with the efficient production of energy.
In the past we used to produce two types of PET Plus – one for cats and one for dogs. The only difference between the two being that was that the original PET Plus for dogs contained no taurine, whereas PET Plus for Cats did. L-Taurine is normally produced by dogs themselves, but not by cats who must obtain this essential nutrient from their food.
Cats produce no taurine, but dogs do produce some
If cats or dogs continue to experience declining levels of taurine, they are more likely to suffer from serious and debilitating health problems.
Taurine and Cats
When cats feed naturally on whole herbivores, raw, they obtain plenty of taurine because bile is a particularly rich source. Raw meat and fish contains plenty of taurine, as do raw heart, brain and offal. But cooking denatures taurine in the same way as it denatures all proteins and enzymes.
Cooking denatures taurine and so cats are now deficient due to consumption of processed food
Cats have therefore been unable to get sufficient taurine due to being fed mainly shop-bought, processed, heat-denatured cat food.
Taurine And Dogs
Now it has become apparent that dogs can no longer make their own taurine, due to processed diets, over-vaccination, and exposure to chemicals, environmental toxins and pollution.
For this reason we have increased the amount of Taurine in PET Plus to 100 mg per half teaspoon (2.5g) and merged the two types of PET Plus into a single product. Namely PET Plus for Dogs And Cats.
This continues its astonishing role of protein digestion, assimilation and efficient use in the body.
In clinical trials comparing AstraZyme with enzymes, it has been clinically proven to break down proteins and fats more efficiently and effectively than just enzymes alone, as follows.
- 92 – 96% of proteins were digested completely into peptides and amino acids in 30 – 60 minutes at pH 4 – 10, a vast range.
- The absorption of these amino acids increased by 70% in 45 minutes.
- The rate of absorption of these amino acids increased by 61% in 15 minutes.
- All this results in faster recovery rates, more energy, reduced stress on internal organs because of the increased efficiency of protein processing….and more.
- Fatty acids were also affected positively, with a 120% increase in the rate of absorption of fatty acids in 5 minutes and a 37 – 55% increase in the quantity of fatty acids absorbed in 20 minutes.
As you can see, this is an enormous help to the overall health and vitality of our pets.
For more information, have a look at astrazyme.com
Enzymes are essential for every living process and have always been a major component of PET Plus. We’ve used Proteases and AstraZyme for protein digestion, amylases for carbohydrate digestion, lipases for fat digestion and blend of highly active enzymes for the digestion of vegetation.
Enzymes are missing from processed and cooked food – leading to negative health implications
Further, we have added Invertase to this proprietary enzyme blend to help with the digestion of carbohydrates.
List of ingredients
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Flax seed powder
- Hemp seed powder
- Chlorella powder
- Barley grass juice powder
- Kamut wheat grass juice powder
- Alfalfa leaf powder
- Beet root fibre
- Enzyme blend (Hemicellulase, Phytase, Protease Amylase, Beta Gluconase, Cellulase, Lipase, Invertase)
- Bilberry juice extract powder
- Coenzyme Q10
- Orange Safflower Petals
- Lactobacillus Acidophilus
- Lactobacillus Plantarum
There have been some subtle changes to the formulation to enhance its already superb effectiveness. We have increased some and decreased other ingredients to make PET Plus, in our opinion, the best whole superfood based vegan nutritional supplement in the world.
We have also gone metric, so the pot sizes are now 100g and 400g which has also enabled us to keep the prices the same. We are proud to have had no price increases in 26 years!